Friday, July 23, 2010

Does anyone else find this weird?

So... I was in Meg's room feeding her and getting her ready to take a nap. I came out into the kitchen, and I could hear a bunch of kids down in the basement. I had told MY kids to stay outside with their friends and play in the back yard. So I call out their names to see who it was
Me: "Adam.... Jonah"?
A strange voice: "Oh, they're outside in the backyard."
Me: "Who is down there?" in a surprised shocked voice
Strange voice: "Oh just me" (and two other boys, whose names will remain anonymous)
Me: "Uh, ok, you guys need to clean up and go home, we are going to the store."

They all come running up the stairs and run out the front door. So Adam goes down to see if they cleaned up, since my kids spent their morning job yesterday cleaning up all the toys.
It was a disaster!!! And they were older kids, old enough to understand "clean up"

So now tell me why I am entertaining the neighbor kids and cleaning up their mess and my kids aren't even with them????? Do I seriously need to lock my doors all the time?

Just a little weird to me. Any suggestions? I hate to be mean, I don't want to hurt any feelings. I guess I just think it is a little strange they would feel comfortable enough to just walk into my house and be entertained with our toys, and get them ALL out... but really!!

10 comments:

chyayn said...

WHAT THE?! Um yeah, LOCK YOUR DOORS! Wow, that's crazy!

Meg said...

Wow. Someone's been playing with my toys! Goldilocks syndrome for sure.

Bugga said...

I cannot believe that...that is just plain RUDE. You are not out of line to be MEAN. You should not have to lock your doors....and that makes me so mad that you are being made to feel that way.

I wonder if their mothers even know that their kids are just helping themselves to a good time at the Macfarlanes. I would seriously talk to those boys...kindly but very sternly...and tell them that you do not want them coming in your home - ever- unless they are invited and accompanied by your children. I would tell them that you really mean it and if they ever come again, uninvited, you will have to call their moms....and then do it!

momwouldgo said...

It is good that kids feel comfortable in your home, they just need to know the boundries.

I would have called them out right then. "You guys are welcome to play, but you have to clean up. Let me know when you are done and I will make sure I am happy with your job." "Nest time you want to come in and play, you need to have one of my kids with you."

I tell you what, I have the neighborhood here every day and all of them help with the chores. Those that help get to play!

Em said...

I think that is beyond weird! I am much meaner than you, so I know you would never do this, but I would call their moms and tell them that they were in your home without your children and that it's not acceptable. I agree with Chy...LOCK YOUR DOORS!

Paige Holley said...

That is hilarious and really annoying! And I agree with Em and Chy...lock your doors. Got to love nosy neighbors.

Julie said...

WOW I'm speechless.

I agree with your mom!!!

and also take it as a compliment that they feel welcome and tell them that too!

Cindy said...

Yes, weird. I would NOT be happy. Or nice. When there's a lot of kids coming or going here, I do lock my doors. Maybe I'm mean, but it really bugs me when that happens.

Amy B. said...

Biggest Pet Peeve EVER!!!!

I have one MAJOR rule...no friends in the house unless pre-approved by me at an earlier time...

Some kids just have zero respect and I have a no tolerance attitude for that...

Sorry you have to deal with this!

Good luck!

katie said...

so. i can totally see how annoying and rude that is. for sure! buuut my parents house was like the house to go back in the day for all of my brothers and friends so that would happen all of the time. the "bullriver" clan would be over and my bros were nowhere to be found. they would enter in the basement and just hang out. my parents set rules and they were respectful so it all was ok but them leaving a mess? very rude and you soooo should say something the next time they come over or they will just keep taking advantage. come on...i know i taught you somethings when it comes to being a "b"!?! hehehe