I copied this post from my friend Liz, who is a great writer and captured my day perfectly!!!
Thanks Liz!!!
This is for all of those moms who may have had a day in their life, like my friend Brooke had today. Ok, so maybe this one is for you Brookie. I just can't resist retelling your day, I hope that's ok.
Today, after work, I drove up to visit my friend Brooke. Mother of 4. 3 boys and one brand new, adorable baby girl. I guess this was a day like no other. It started before I arrived so I picked it up in the middle. She caught me up to speed as she washed the pee out of her little boy's sneakers. Eli is not as potty trained as Brooke thought. The potty training is new and today there was a little accident in the Doctor's office. Mom became aware of it as her angel son announced 'that was a big poop'.
Fast forward a couple of hours to me arriving as she washes the pee out. Before we know it, Eli is crying. He comes in to tell us something about poop and a glove outside. We notice he has one work glove on. The other one was sniffed out by Brookie's detective nose, and the dog Bingo. What did she find on the scene? That the neighbor boy had pooped in the yard and tried to cover it, or wipe it up, with Eli's work glove. Horror. The boys were happily playing on the swings as if nothing had happened. Brooke had a talking to to the kids and cleaned the mess up.
Later, we were visiting and enjoying our afternoon. The neighbors had gone home and Eli was in having a snack of trail mix and fruit snacks. A bit later, Eli came in and said the words I'm sure every mom waits to here... "Mom, there's a peanut in my ear". Brooke looks at me in shock and says "Why did you put a peanut in your ear?" Eli:"Because it was sour". Now Doctor Brooke enters the scene. Tweezers? Nope. A bath and a bulb for irrigation? Nope..that didn't work either. She puts a call in to her hubby I guess cuz he called back a while later. I couldn't hear what he was saying, I could only hear what her response was and it was classic. She told him about the peanut and I watched as she tried not to laugh then politely said 'okay, we'll try that'. She got off and I asked what his suggestion was. "He told me: go out to the garage, and get that vacuum. Now Eli won't like it, but you'll have to cup your hand around his ear kind of, to get a good surface. Then you'll have to suction the shop vac to the ear so it creates a vaccuum. It will be loud and Eli won't let you do it so you'll have to hold him down...." I thought I would die laughing. Later he called back to tell her to be sure to lube the ear before trying the vacuum. Sometimes I think guys are just looking for opportunities to use their nifty tools.
When I left, around dinner time, the peanut was still in the ear...and another visit to the doctor was on the horizon.
I only provided the highlights of the day. I didn't mention the neighbor coming to use the bathroom, the spilled trailmix that was heading back to the bag, Eli going around without pants or when he had pants going without underpants and putting the pants on backwards-- Always backwards, the neighbor who came by to wash her bottles in Brooke's dish washer... It was like Grand Central Station.
All the while, I'm wondering what sort of 3rd dimension I'm about to enter in to. There is this whole realm of stay at home moms that I know nothing about. Not to mention kids.
I'm 5 weeks away from finding out if I have the stuff moms are made of.
Here's to you moms!
10 comments:
God bless Moms everyone and everywhere! When you look back on your experiences, one day Brooke, you will say "How did I do it?"
All I can do is laugh... I'm glad Liz wrote it down. :o)
It's just good to know I'm not the only one.
Watch out Liz, we can't wait for you to join us!
I gotta know how you got the peanut out. I loved this post. I think moms of lots of boys have way more excitment in their lives. Brooke you are such a good mom.
That is hilarious-I can only imagine how exhausted you were at the end of the day!
WOW when you read it like that it does sound exhausting. And sometimes it seems you have nothing to "show" for a day like that! glad yours is captured that day sounds historical!
how did you get out the peanut?
I'm glad you put it on your blog. You have to keep track of these things. This would have been a very important day, missing from your life, if you hadn't :)
Oh..Brooke..this is HILARIOUS! Thanks for sharing!!!
And there are some who say a stay at home moms are bored. I don't think so. this must go on the wedding video or atleast given to the the boys in-laws. this was fun to read thanks LuAnn (brings back alot of memories)
ahhhhhhhhh what a day I cant believe it! I am so glad that we were able to see you in Utah and in the airport. It was the best beginnign and end to my trip I just love you! wow what a great day and even greater that your friend wrote this all down for you!
Post a Comment