Monday, June 7, 2010

On the first day of summer...

(sing to the 12 days of Christmas)
...my children gave to me
wrestling, fighting, crying
friends knocking early
This is so boring
We're doing all YOUR work
I don't like that job chart
Can we play the wii
Eli's calling names

why can't I play...

I don't want to work
He's so mean
I just want to play
and a house full of unhappy boys.

Ok, ok it's not really THIS bad, but pretty close,
and ALL those things were really said this morning.
But by lunch time, they had finished ALL of their jobs and were off playing,
happy and content.

I love summer time,
to get up in the morning and have the whole family hustling around the house,
shining bathroom sinks, mopping floors, vacuuming stairs.
I feel like we are a team,
armed and ready to clean and organize this house... together.
But, for some reason,
my sweet three boys don't feel that way.
Jonah told me,
"You are pretty much making us do all YOUR work... How would you like it if someone made YOU do all the work"

If he only knew. ;)

13 comments:

Meg said...

That is HILARIOUS! Best. Post. Ever. I love it. Yes, and as boys, they may never truly appreciate the work that a mother does. Especially a mother of four. You are amazing. What a good mom to teach your children to work (even though it actually makes your work HARDER not easier). I loved the song, too. That is so clever. I love that someone was saying "this is boring" on the FIRST DAY! Ha! Classic. Ahh kids, if you can't laugh at them they might just kill ya. Gotta love them, though.

Susan G said...

I love it! I remember those days... Here is to a fun and happy summer!! Good luck, hard working mama!

Liz and Lorin without Borders said...

I love this! I hope I get to see you on friday.

Jamie said...

HAHAHA! I love it!!! It rings so true. I am glad us mothers are all in this together.

Julie said...

Jo told me that story when I talked to her yesterday, I was laughing!!! Wait until week 2 HAHAH that's where I am, and trying to pack AHHHHH
great job chart web site http://www.myjobchart.com/
you assign points to each job, they log on and mark off what they've done, then they get to go shopping in the store that you have set up for rewards! Tucker asked to organize his closet! it was an extra job and they have to ask to do those. WII taked 50 points at our house and it takes 2 day of just regular jobs to earn it, so either they do extra or wait. it's been great so far!

Bugga said...

"Very good, Brookie"!...as grandma would say. I loved your song and so happy when you record your kid's quotes. They are remember worthy!

Paige Holley said...

nice one! Haha...I feel a bit of your pain. I sure love summer but some of those days can seem pretty LONG!

littlegry said...

I totally was dying laughing when I read this. I'm feeling it too... and I have an additional kid this summer again. (sigh)

Dani said...

I love Jonah! Now quit making your kids do all your work, you meany! Definitely save that and share it with him when he is a dad.

Cindy said...

Love it! And I love making my kids slaves in the summer. It's good for them. They'll thank us someday.

Em said...

This is the best! I love how you turned it into a song. I can hear kids all over singing this together. Glad you captured it.

LynnSus said...

I am SOOO happy to have clicked on the "click here" tag...what we have missed by not looking directly at "Our Sweet 4"!! LOVE those kiddos...sweet times! xoxox

Malia said...

love this! i ditto what Meg said :)